Sandown Racecourse, which is situated on the shores of the River Aitken, is known for its “pale blue skies, spectacular views and a reputation for having some of the most popular racecourse attractions in the country”.
However, in May 2017, a group of six people were attacked by a mob.
“The men, who had been drinking, decided to go for a ride on the track, but were approached by an angry mob,” said Sandown Countryside Council spokesperson Peter Daley.
“They had been celebrating a successful start to the season and were on their way home from a race at Sandown.”
The men, aged in their 30s and 40s, were left with injuries including cuts and bruises to their faces and shoulders.
The victims, who were all from the Isle of Man, were attacked while on the course.
“In an act of aggression against a group that had just finished their race and had gone out to enjoy the sunshine, the mob threw a bottle at the group,” Mr Daley said.
“A man in the group of about 15 people was knocked off his bike and suffered a minor injury to his arm.
The other two men on the bike were left injured and needed hospital treatment.”
Mr Daly said the attack was a clear example of a mob “begging” for help from locals.
“It was an act that was extremely out of character and there was no justification for it,” he said.
In February, a similar incident happened on the same sand course when a man and woman were attacked.
The men were both attacked with bottles as they left the track.
“One of the women in the crowd, who was sitting in a car, saw the attack and was trying to intervene and stop the men from doing harm,” Mr Cundy said.
After the attack, the women were taken to the hospital, but their injuries were not serious.
“This was not the behaviour that we would expect at Sandaway,” Mr Fauci said.
Mr Dacey said there had been similar attacks on the racecourse before.
“There have been two cases of attack on Sandown race courses before in the last few years,” he explained.
“We are looking at a number of options for the next steps.”
Mr Fae says that in the wake of the recent incidents, he and his colleagues are considering whether to move the race to a new location.
“I am sure we will get some support from the community and from local authorities and we will look at all the options,” he told ABC Radio’s AM program.
“That is a really difficult situation to be in because there are very few options in terms of getting rid of the Sandown site, especially in a town like Sandown.”
There are other places that have hosted some of our biggest races and I don’t think there is a need to move it.
“We are very lucky to have such a vibrant and popular track.
It is a wonderful place to race, but we need to find the right balance between the safety of the community, the local community and the race itself.”
Mr Cuy, the director of the South West County Council, said the Sandaway Racecourse had not been affected by the attacks.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families,” he wrote in a statement.
“Sandown is a beautiful, safe place, and it is a sad day when someone would cause harm to other people.”
The South West Council said it was working with the local authority and the organisers of the event to make arrangements to move Sandown to a safer location.
The council said it hoped to have a public hearing on the matter on Wednesday.
“Local authorities are committed to the safety and security of our community and we are working with organisers and local authorities to make sure this is dealt with as quickly as possible,” it said.